An air handler unit, often abbreviated to AHU, is one of the main components of your HVAC system, used to regulate and circulate air, usually through the ductwork ventilation system. It is an indoor component that works as a partner with the outdoor component and contains heating or cooling elements; a blower, filter racks, dampers, and sound attenuators. The component performs the following functions:
- Maintaining Indoor air quality
- Humidity Control
At ProServices Supply, we have an extensive range of Goodman Air Handlers.
How Does An Air Handler Work?
The main function of an air handler is to circulate the air in an HVAC system and alter the functionalities of heating, cooling, and air quality through the components surrounding it.
The unit connects to the rest of the facility through a series of supplies and returns ventilation ducts that recirculate the air in each room.
Air handlers can be paired with an air conditioner, heat pump, and sometimes even a mini-split system for both heating and cooling functions. Additionally, air handlers can also be equipped with a heating coil to provide supplementary heat.
Just like a furnace, air handlers contain a blower (fan), controls, and an evaporator coil that conditions and recirculates the air. The air handler works with the outdoor unit (a condenser or heat pump) in a typical split system using refrigerant lines connecting the two systems.
Components of an Air Handler Unit
- The Blower Motor
- Condenser Coils
Types of Air Handlers
Not all air handlers are designed the same. Besides the traditional air handler, there are three other types:
- Multi-position air handlers, also known as traditional air handlers, have a higher profile but can be installed in various configurations depending on the application.
- Wall-mounted air handlers are shorter and wider than traditional models to fit homes where height is an issue.
- Ceiling-mounted air handlers use a coil to move refrigerant instead of ductwork. They are significantly smaller than traditional air handlers and have a very low profile.
Reasons To Invest in An Air Handler Unit
- Efficient in Cooling Large Areas
- Able to Condition Multiple Zones, Easily
- Specially Designed for Commercial Areas
- Ease of Maintenance
Not Sure Which Air Handler You Should Buy?
Feel free to contact our HVAC experts at (877) 776-8228 to seek help in finding the right type of Air Handler for your Air Conditioning unit. Our experts will analyze all the factors and help you determine which coil you would require for your unit.